Annoying ads are nothing new, but in the digital age they’re getting harder and harder to avoid. Thanks to the rise of adware, adverts can now infiltrate your phone and follow you wherever you go. So what is adware? And how can you remove adware from your iPhone and Android devices?
Adware is a kind of software. It automatically generates online advertisements and produces revenue for the developer every time a user clicks or sees one of the ads.
There are two ways in which your device can carry adware, one more insidious than the other:
While adware is usually seen as a form of malware, there are a few differences. Adware is usually not as dangerous as it is annoying, and it most likely won’t steal your data or track you. While malware is created by criminals to steal data or money from you, adware is usually just built to generate revenue without actively harming you.
However, certain forms of adware are less innocent. They can track your behavior and collect data about you. Then they can pass your information on to third-parties or use it for ad targeting. For example, they can do this by luring you into clicking on some malicious link or pop-up.
There are several simple steps you can take today to remove adware from iPhone and Android devices.
1. First of all turn your iPhone to safe mode to block third-party apps from running in the background. To do this turn off your phone.
2. Then turn it on again by holding down the power button and home button at the same time until you see the Apple logo.
3. Then hold the volume-up button until your device boots up. Now your device should be running in safe mode.
4. Now you can remove the unwanted apps. To do this just tap and hold on the app.
5. Tap “Delete App.” Then, to go back to normal mode just reboot your device as usual.
1. Open in safe mode. To do this hold down the power button first.
2. Then tap and hold the “Power off” button.
3. Tap the “Safe mode” button.
4. Now you can delete the apps you don’t want. Go to “Settings.”
5. Tap “Apps.”
6. Select the app you wish to remove.
7. Tap “Uninstall.” To go back to normal mode just reboot your device as usual.
You can also check out our guide on how to remove adware from PC and other devices.
Check out our video on removing adware from Android below.
While many third-party apps allow you to remove adware, always make sure they are reliable before using any. We also strongly recommend using NordVPN’s Threat Protection feature – it can shield you from suspicious pop-ups and malvertising.
To avoid adware altogether, consider the following steps:
Even if you successfully get rid of malware, you’ll still be at risk from malware and other threats. Don’t forget to protect the rest of your system properly. Encrypt your traffic and hide your IP with NordVPN. A VPN can protect you from snoopers and cybercriminals, and our Threat Protection tool can combat malicious pop-ups and ads.
Online security starts with a click.
Stay safe with the world’s leading VPN
We value your privacy