- What is a travel VPN, and why do I need one?
- How to choose the best VPN for traveling
- Exclusive benefits of NordVPN features
- How do I get a VPN for international travel?
- Cyber hygiene checklist to use before hitting the road
What is a travel VPN, and why do I need one?
A VPN, or virtual private network, is a powerful encryption tool that can function through an app on your device. A VPN service will help protect your browsing traffic from potential hackers, intrusive advertisers, and third parties while traveling abroad.
Make sure to check out our video on cybersecurity travel tips here:
How to choose the best VPN for traveling
Let’s dive into some of the many benefits of a VPN service. When choosing a VPN for traveling, it’s important to consider different factors that ensure the best service for your needs, such as:
- Security and privacy. Choose a trustworthy VPN prioritizing strong security measures, AES-256 encryption, secure protocols like OpenVPN or WireGuard, and a strict no-logs policy. These components can ensure your online activity remains private.
- Server network. A broad server network is essential for travelers. It allows you to connect to servers in different countries and access content from anywhere. Pay special attention to the VPN’s server coverage and check if it has servers in your vacation destination.
- Speed and performance. Make sure to choose a VPN that offers fast speeds for streaming and browsing. Some VPNs offer trial periods that may help ensure the service meets your needs.
- Device compatibility. Ensure that your VPN provider supports all the devices you’ll use during your vacation. VPNs usually support multiple devices simultaneously, so you can use your laptop, smartphone, and tablet safely.
- Customer support. It is crucial to choose a VPN with reliable 24/7 customer support. It will be able to help you if you face technical issues during your travels.
- Reputation and reviews. And finally, read service reviews and carefully evaluate VPN’s reputation before downloading its software.
Good research before purchasing may save you some trouble while traveling. However, consider your requirements and choose a service that meets your needs and preferences.
Besides using a VPN, it may be a good idea to enhance your security with additional protection for your online activity while on vacation. Advanced VPN security features and trusted protocols prevent unauthorized access to your data, even if a bad actor intercepts your connection. Here are some ways to enhance your browsing safety while traveling:
- Strong encryption. Your VPN service provider must use robust encryption algorithms to process your data so that cybercriminals cannot read your sensitive information in the case of a data breach.
- Multifactor authentication (MFA). MFA is a trusted VPN authentication procedure that the providers apply to prevent unauthorized access to your sensitive data. It requires two or more forms of identity verification, such as a password, as well as fingerprints or code sent to your mobile device or computer.
- Kill switch. This VPN feature automatically disconnects your phone, tablet, or PC from the internet connection if the VPN connection shuts down unexpectedly. A kill switch prevents your IP address and sensitive data leaks.
- No-logs policy. A VPN provider mustn’t keep any record of your online activities. This ensures no one can monitor your internet traffic while you are connected to a VPN.
These additional VPN features may be the most important when it’s time for you to choose a reliable service. They protect your online privacy and safeguard your sensitive data from prying eyes.
Access blocked websites
With a VPN enabled, you can change your IP address, bypass censorship, and browse the internet freely. NordVPN even has obfuscated servers specifically designed to use in restrictive regimes. If you happen to work, study, or travel in one of these countries, a VPN with an extensive server network is a vital tool.
Imagine visiting the Great Wall of China and wanting to update your social media or check the news while you’re there. Suddenly, you encounter another kind of wall: China’s Great Firewall. This phrase refers to the country’s wide-ranging internet restrictions, which ban access to Western media and websites, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Netflix, and Twitter.
China is not alone: Iran, Vietnam, Russia, Cuba, and many other countries censor the internet and decide what their citizens can access.
Grab the best deals
Depending on the country in which you’re located, the prices for airline tickets, car reservations, and hotels may vary. If you use a VPN for traveling, you can hop between servers in different countries and find the best deals available. If you change your IP address with NordVPN, you can start hunting for the cheapest international flight deals.
Exclusive benefits of NordVPN features
NordVPN offers exclusive features to enhance your cybersecurity while traveling.
NordVPN’s Threat Protection may give you more peace of mind when traveling. It is a security tool that protects your devices from online threats, like malware and trackers. It scans your files during download, identifies looming risks, and blocks them before they reach your system. Threat Protection also works as an ad blocker, defends you from trackers, and stops you from landing on malicious websites.
NordVPN’s Meshnet feature lets you turn any device owned by you or a connected friend into a NordVPN endpoint. This enables you to form a remote LAN connection with your home or office PC from anywhere in the world to share files with colleagues or family members while on vacation. Meshnet also has a traffic routing feature, which allows you to route the traffic and browse through your home’s IP address no matter where you are.
How do I get a VPN for international travel?
Follow these steps to get the best from a VPN abroad:
- Choose a VPN provider. If you have decided to go with NordVPN, check the current VPN prices.
- Sign up for the service.
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Connect to a server.
- Test the connection: After connecting to the VPN server, test the connection to ensure it works properly. You can do this by visiting our page that shows your IP address. If the IP address displayed differs from your actual IP address and corresponds to the location of the VPN server you selected, then the VPN works.
Cyber hygiene checklist to use before hitting the road
You reap what you sow. The more you take care of your cyber hygiene before traveling abroad, the fewer headaches you will have later. Here are some tips:
- Keep your software up to date.
- Use unique and complex passwords.
- Secure your devices with passcodes or fingerprints.
- Avoid connecting to public Wi-Fi networks.
- Back up your important data in a safe location.
- Disable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when you don’t use them.
- Credit cards offer more protection than debit cards. Use them instead.
- Use mobile payment apps like Apple Pay or Google Pay to protect your financial data.