How to delete Twitter on Android
- Tap on the menu icon or profile photo in the upper left-hand corner and select Settings and Privacy from the dropdown.
- Tap on the Account tab.
- Scroll down until you find the Deactivate your account tab and tap on it.
- Read the information provided and then scroll down and tap on Deactivate.
- You will have to confirm your password to complete the process.
- The app will once again ask you to confirm that you want to deactivate your account.
- Twitter will then confirm your decision.
How to delete Twitter on iOS
- Log into the Twitter app and click on your profile picture in the upper left-hand corner.
- Select Settings and privacy.
- Select Account.
- Scroll to the bottom and select Deactivate the account.
- On the next page, you will see some important information about what happens when you deactivate your account. Read it carefully and then tap Deactivate.
- A new window will pop up. Enter your Twitter password and click Deactivate. Your account is now deactivated.
How to delete your Twitter on desktop
- Go to Twitter and log into your account.
- Click your profile icon at the top right-hand corner. Select Settings and Privacy from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Deactivate your account.On the next page, you will see some important information about what happens when you deactivate your account. Read it carefully and then tap Deactivate.
- A new window will pop up. Enter your Twitter password and click Deactivate account.
- Congratulations! You’ve just deactivated your Twitter account. After the 30-day deactivation period, your account will be permanently deleted.
Why people leave Twitter
There are many reasons why users are deleting their Twitter accounts, and you might want to do it too if:
- You feel overwhelmed by the amount of information. It’s becoming impossible to sieve through the important news stories and posts that are irrelevant to you;
- It’s becoming too addictive and taking up too much of your precious time;
- Twitter fails to deal with online harassment. Twitter attempted to so by getting rid of egg avatars, but even if you block harassers, report them, or get their tweets filtered, their offensive comments will remain visible on other users’ timelines.
Things you might want to consider before proceeding
Whatever your reason for leaving may be, you should know the following before proceeding:
- If you like using Twitter but don’t want it to collect all that data about you, changing your privacy settings might be enough.
- You might want to change your username and email address before deleting your twitter account. This way, if you decide to create a new account at a later date, you will be able to use the same email and username.
- Once your account is deleted, your information will no longer be searchable on Twitter. However, the company doesn’t control the content indexed by search engines like Google, Yahoo or Bing, meaning that your old posts can live on whether you like it or not.
- If you find it difficult to part with the data you’ve generated on Twitter, you can download your data archive. However, it will only provide you with partial data. It won’t include any lists, favorite tweets, direct messages or your photos.
- You cannot delete your account immediately. You will have to deactivate your Twitter account and will be given 30 days to come back if you change your mind. After this grace period, your account will be irretrievable.
Other social media platforms
Deleting Twitter doesn't mean you have to get rid of your other social media accounts. If you decide yto stay connected to your other social media platforms, you'll want to read our social media privacy guide.
Want to read more like this?
Get the latest news and tips from NordVPN
We won't spam and you will always be able to unsubscribe