- Deleting the app doesn’t delete your account
- How to delete Tinder account
- How do you delete Tinder without the app
- How long does your Tinder stay active after you delete it?
- Can you recover deleted Tinder account?
- Why should you delete Tinder?
- Other social media platforms
Deleting the app doesn’t delete your account
Unlike most mobile applications, this dating app doesn’t let you go that easily. Deleting the Tinder app from your device doesn’t mean you have deleted your account. Your profile remains active, together with all your pictures, matches, and messages. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing because you can get back in the game anytime you wish. All you need to do is download the app again and sign in.
However, if you want out, leaving your profile up might cause problems. If you’re dating or are happily married, your partner or their friend might accidentally find you on the platform and ask “Why are you still on Tinder? Are you looking for someone else?”. Your data could also remain vulnerable in their system.
How to delete Tinder account
- Open the app and tap on your profile icon in the top left corner of the screen. Then click on “Settings.”
- Scroll down till you reach the end. Click “Delete account.”
- Here you can choose whether you want to deactivate your account or permanently delete it. Choose “Delete my account.”
- You’ll have to give Tinder your reason for leaving.
- Before finally deleting your account, Tinder will also ask you whether you want to delete or just hide your account. Choose delete.
- Congratulations! Your account has been successfully deleted.
Note that deleting your account doesn’t cancel your Tinder Plus subscription. You will have to do so by visiting the App Store or Google Play Store.
How do you delete Tinder without the app
You can delete your Tinder account through the browser website. This can be useful if your phone is inaccessible, or if you’re temporarily unable to log into the app.
- Once you’ve opened the Tinder homepage on your browser of choice, you can log in and click on “My Profile.”
- Head to your account settings and select “Delete Account.”
How long does your Tinder stay active after you delete it?
If you’ve deleted the app, your profile will still exist online. However, the less you use Tinder the less you appear in people’s searchers. According to Tinder, if your account has been inactive for more than 7 days, you won’t be visible at all.
On the other hand, if you actually delete your account, your profile will be removed completely. If you download the app and create a new account, you’ll now be starting from scratch.
Can you recover deleted Tinder account?
The simple answer is no. Unlike other sites that give you a “cooling off” period during which you can change your mind, Tinder will delete your profile permanently if you ask them to.
You can start a new account at any time, but you won’t be able to get your old matches back. Instead, you’ll have to input all your data, upload photos, and start over.
Why should you delete Tinder?
Online dating isn’t just full of hopeless romantics, but hackers and scammers too. Threats on Tinder are lurking behind every corner:
Some users will try to fool you into thinking that they’re someone they’re not. They might steal other users’ photos and personal information to create fake accounts. If you notice that someone’s profile and communication is too good to be true, you might be talking to a scammer.
Such users might later try to convince you to wire them money, buy them gifts, or click on suspicious links that hide malware. They could also ask you to send them risque photos they could later use to blackmail you, or they might gather enough information to steal your identity.
Similarly to catfishing, hackers use fake profiles to set up Tinder bots. Bots require less maintenance and can trick multiple people at once. You can recognize a Tinder Bot by its pristine profile, short response time, and sometimes random answers that don’t seem to relate to your questions.
The hackers behind such profiles will also try to lure you into clicking on suspicious links, wiring them money or sending them provocative photos. However, if you don’t respond to their requests, they usually will stop messaging you.
Hackers also use Tinder for their phishing campaigns. They might notice your profile, get your contact information, and then email you asking to confirm your account details or click on malicious links. You might even be asked to verify your payment details, which Tinder would never ask if you are using a free version of the app.
From cyberstalking to simpler privacy concerns, you may also want to review your other social media platforms. Deleting Facebook, Messenger or Snapchat and adjusting your settings may be a good idea. Check out our social media privacy tips for some ideas.