Why VPN passwords are important
A VPN increases digital privacy and security by encrypting your internet connection and masking your IP address. It plays a crucial role in online safety and helps protect you from various cyber threats.
However, it can only offer effective and reliable protection if you purchase your VPN from a trusted provider and keep your VPN account secure.
VPN passwords protect virtual private network accounts, ensuring that no unauthorized party can access and use your account to their advantage. Your VPN password acts as a barrier to prevent someone from compromising your account. That’s why creating a strong, unique, and long enough password is crucial.
How accounts end up for sale online
Cybercriminals use different tactics to steal people’s VPN account credentials and then sell them online. Here are the most popular ones:
Phishing scams come in many forms. For example, someone may pretend to be an official representative of a service you use and ask for your password and email to fix something in your account. Or, you may receive a genuine-looking password reset email warning that someone tried logging in to your account.
Some phishing attempts can be obvious, while others are really well executed. It takes a trained eye to recognize a phishing scam, so make sure you carefully review such emails before clicking anything. Better yet, open a new tab and go to the supposedly compromised account to change your password manually.
Cybercriminals may steal your VPN credentials by using malicious software. You can accidentally infect your device with malware in many ways — from opening a malicious email attachment to visiting a compromised site.
While organizations typically implement cybersecurity measures to protect their users, data breaches still occur. Hackers may steal sensitive information like usernames and passwords, then sell them in bulk on the dark web, forums, or e-commerce sites.
Protecting yourself from data breaches is more difficult because the responsibility to secure your data lies with the organization you trust with your data. However, using strong passwords and multi-factor authentication can help increase the security of your data an organization holds.
How to set a new VPN password
If you suspect that your account could be compromised or you forgot your NordVPN password, here’s how you can change it:
1. Go to nordaccount.com
2. Tap the “Forgot your password?” link.
3. Enter your email address and click “Send reset link”.
4. You’ll receive a link in your email to set a new NordVPN password.
If you’re new to NordVPN, follow this login and sign-up process to set up a strong password for your account. For more help, visit our Help Center for a detailed tutorial on changing NordVPN password.
I got a “password verification failed: ‘Auth’” error
If you got a “password verification failed: ‘Auth’” error when trying to log in to NordVPN’s Windows app, you can take several actions:
- Check if your app’s out of date. Update your app if you’re using an older version.
- Make sure you’re typing your correct password. If you can’t remember your password, click “Forgot your password?” under the login window, and you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to reset it.
- Reinstall the application. Go to your Control Panel and delete the app. Download it from https://nordvpn.com/download/, and set it up again.
How to create a strong VPN password
When creating a new VPN password, follow these simple but effective rules to make sure you’re generating a strong password:
- Make your password long. Avoid using anything below 12 characters. A short password is often a weak password. A longer password won’t be as easy to crack if someone tries to access your account with a brute-force attack.
- Use a mix of characters. If you can’t pronounce your password, it’s good enough. Don’t use common words — they make weak passwords. If you use a common word, distort it in some way. For example, try adding random uppercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Use a password generator. If you don’t have time to create several long, strong passwords, a password generator will do the work for you. You can find many password generators online, but make sure that you choose a reliable service you can trust. Many password generators will allow you to customize passwords by adding filters.
- Use a unique password for each account. Using the same password for every account carries many online security risks. When you use the same password for several accounts, accessing one account means cybercriminals may be able to log in to several others. Put that password generator to good use and create a new password for each account.
- Use a password manager. If you’re looking for an easy and user-friendly way to store, remember, and auto-fill hundreds of passwords, NordPass can help. This password manager securely stores your passwords, credit card details, secret notes, and other personal information. All your data is encrypted and kept in a secure vault that only you can access.
Can a VPN provider see my password?
If you’re using a reliable VPN provider, no, it will not be able to access your password. A reputable VPN company will have strict rules about how it handles its users’ information.