- What to know before deleting your TikTok account
- How to download your TikTok data before deleting
- How to delete a TikTok account permanently
- How to reactivate a deleted TikTok account
What to know before deleting your TikTok account
Once you delete your TikTok account, you will have 30 days during which you can change your mind and recover your account. After that period is up, all of your account data will be gone forever.
Once your account is deleted, you’ll lose access to any videos you posted, unless you backed them up. You will also no longer be able to view messages, liked and saved videos, or any other TikTok content linked to your account. If other creators have stitched or duetted your videos, those videos will still be available, but they will no longer lead back to your profile.
Before we explain how to delete a TikTok account, we’ll show you how to download and backup your data.
How to download your TikTok data before deleting
Backing up your data can be done easily through the “Download your data” tab. Follow the steps below to download TikTok data.
- Open the TikTok app and navigate to your Profile page.
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the top right corner.
- Tap “Settings and privacy” > “Account” > “Download your data.”
- Tap “Manage account,” then tap “Download your data.”
- Select the format you wish to receive your data in and tap “Request data.”
How to delete a TikTok account permanently
You have three options for deleting your account: through mobile or desktop, or via email.
How to delete a TikTok account on mobile
You can quickly delete your TikTok account through the TikTok mobile app.
- Tap “Profile.”
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper-right corner.
- Select “Manage account.”
- Select “Delete account.”
- Tap “Continue” and then “Continue.”
- Verify your account to complete deletion and then tap “Delete account.”
How to delete a TikTok account on desktop
If you wish to, you can delete your TikTok account via desktop by following the steps below.
- Open TikTok in your desktop browser and log into your account.
- Click the profile icon in the upper right corner and select “Settings.”
- Click “Delete.”
- Check the box at the bottom of the pop-up window and click “Continue.”
- Click “Continue” again to confirm that you wish to delete your account.
How to delete a TikTok account without logging in
Even if you aren’t logged into TikTok, you can still delete the app by emailing email@example.com and requesting that they delete it for you. You must include the following information in your email request:
- Your username.
- The birthday associated with your account, presented in the MM/DD/YYYY format.
- The phone number associated with your account.
- The email address associated with your account.
How to reactivate a deleted TikTok account
If you’ve changed your mind and no longer want to delete your TikTok account, you can retrieve it. However, this will only work within 30 days of deactivating your account. Here’s how to recover your account:
- Open the TikTok app.
- Tap “Log in” at the bottom-right corner and select your way of authentication.
- Tap “Reactivate.”
You will now be able to access your account and use TikTok like before. If you want to reduce your digital footprint, we also have tutorials explaining how to delete your Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and other accounts. Remember — the more social media accounts you have, the less private you become. Make sure to follow these social media privacy tips to protect your privacy online and enhance your security. While it is impossible to stay anonymous online, deleting your social media accounts can improve your overall privacy.