Also known as: W32/Parite, Packed.Parite, Win32/Parite, W32/Pinfi, Worm.P2P.Pate.a, Pate, Worm.Parite, Virus.Parite, Virus:W32/Parite, Virus.Win32.Parite, Win32.Parite, Win32.Pinfi, PE_PARITE, W32/Pate
Variants: Parite.A and Parite.B
Damage potential: File corruption, system slowdown, network spread, data loss, and compromised security
Parite is a computer virus that targets Windows operating systems and infects executable files (EXE) and dynamic link libraries (DLL) to spread across the system rapidly. Due to its polymorphic nature, Parite can change its code or appearance with each infection, which makes it difficult to detect. This virus can cause various issues such as file corruption, system slowdown, and data loss, and it can spread to other devices in a network.
- Slow computer performance because of increased CPU and disk activity
- Unexpected network traffic as the virus attempts to spread
- Notable changes in the sizes or modification dates of .EXE and .SCR files without any apparent reason
- Non-functioning .EXE and .DLL files
Sources of the infection
- Infected removable media such as USB drives, CDs, or DVDs
- Downloading malicious software (typically freeware), games, or applications from unreliable sources
- Email attachments
- Peer-to-peer (P2P) sharing of infected files
Avoid downloading files from unknown sources.
Use NordVPN’s Threat Protection feature to block malicious websites and scan downloads for malware.
Regularly back up important data.
Disable autorun for removable drives to prevent automatic execution.
- Disconnect the infected system from the internet to prevent further spread.
- Use a reputable antivirus program to scan and remove infected files. Some antivirus solutions have specialized removal tools for Parite.
- After removal, update all software, especially the operating system, so as not to cause any vulnerabilities.