S/Key is a security authentication system that enhances the protection of user accounts and sensitive information. In the S/Key system, each password is used only once, providing an added layer of security against unauthorized access.
The S/Key authentication process begins with the generation of a master key or passphrase, which serves as the foundation for creating a series of one-time passwords. These passwords are derived from the master key using a cryptographic algorithm, ensuring that each password is unique and unpredictable.
S/Key use cases
- Remote Access. S/Key secures remote access by generating one-time passwords for authorized login.
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA). S/Key strengthens security by integrating one-time passwords as an extra layer alongside usernames and passwords.
- High-Security Environments. With its one-time password system, S/Key mitigates government, defense, finance, and healthcare risks.
- Online Banking and E-commerce. S/Key enhances security in financial transactions by requiring one-time passwords for authorized access.
- Password Recovery. S/Key provides secure password recovery through temporary one-time passwords.