Millions of us use Spotify without ever considering its potential privacy and security risks. Learn how to make Spotify more secure by enabling a private session and other useful features below.
While Spotify is a convenient method to access hundreds of tracks, you should know that:
If you still want to enjoy Spotify, follow these tips to secure your privacy:
1. Click the V icon on the top-right in the app;
2. Tap Settings;
3. Scroll down to Social;
4. Disable Make my new playlists public so that others can’t see your future playlists.
To hide your existing playlists, pick a playlist, click on three dots and choose Make Secret;
5. Enable Start a private session to listen anonymously to start a Spotify private session.
Or you can just click V -> Private Session to make it quicker.
This will hide your activity from others on Spotify and Facebook. Just be aware that session automatically expires after you go offline for more than six hours or when you restart the app;
6. By toggling off Share my listening activity on Spotify and Show my recently played artists, you can further minimize the amount of information Spotify gives out about you;
7. Block cookies by opening Settings, scrolling to the very bottom and clicking on Show advanced settings. Disable the toggle under Privacy section. This may affect your Spotify experience as cookies help to track your behavior and provide listening suggestions.
On the mobile app you should:
1. Press the gear icon in the top-right;
2. Pick Social;
3. Here you can enable a private session, hide listening activity and recently played artists.
1. Go to https://www.spotify.com/us/account/privacy/;
2. Click on Privacy Settings. Here, you can control which Facebook data Spotify knows about you, manage ads, and download your personal data;
3. Turn off Process my Facebook data. Spotify will no longer process your shared Facebook data;
4. Disable Process my personal data for tailored ads. Then Spotify won’t match your information shared by third-parties to target ads at you.
You can also limit other apps’ access to Spotify’s data by:
1. Going to https://www.spotify.com/us/account/privacy/;
2. Going to Apps;
3. Clicking Remove Access next to the apps you share Spotify data with.
Create a new account by registering directly to Spotify, not via Facebook. This will help hide your Spotify data from Facebook. If you logged in your non-Facebook account by using Facebook, you can go to V -> Settings and click Disconnect from Facebook under the Social section.
Even though Spotify is the largest and most popular music database, it has employed unfair tactics in the past. Those included creating fake artists, planting certain songs in unrelated playlists, etc. Also, it is infamous for unfair artists compensations. Here are a few alternatives with their own advantages:
Want to read more like this?
Get the latest news and tips from NordVPN.