What is Movember?
Movember focuses on tackling three of the biggest health issues affecting men: testicular and prostate cancer, mental health, and suicide. Since 2003, Movember has built a global men’s health movement, funding more than 1,300 projects worldwide, challenging the status quo, transforming men’s health research, and changing how health services reach and support men.
- Movember has invested almost $350 million in over 600 biomedical research projects, focusing on prostate and testicular cancer.
- The charity has funded four prostate cancer registries, with over 200,000 men enrolled from 23 countries. Movember teams have supported interventions designed to assist and guide men through their prostate cancer journey, offering resources and information to empower them to make their own decisions, manage symptoms, and share experiences.
- Since taking on mental health and suicide as one of the biggest causes of premature male death, Movember has united experts and funded new approaches. It focuses on prevention, early intervention, and health promotion through a male perspective.
Movember is for everyone, not just for men. It’s a global health movement with a strong focus on improving men’s health — and a belief that it can positively impact women, families, and society as a whole.
Movember fundraising initiatives are highly engaging and target a wide range of supporters. Here are some of the ways people can get involved:
- Growing a moustache in November. Probably one of the most well-known Movember initiatives involves growing a mustache for the month of November to raise money for the cause. The money raised supports mental health, prostate cancer, and testicular cancer projects. Thanks to this popular annual event, the charity has been able to support over 1,250 projects to date.
- Move for Movember. Movember supporters can sign up to walk or run over 60km over the month to raise money for the cause. Participants can start anytime by downloading the Movember app, connecting it to their fitness tracker, and creating a fundraising page.
- Hosting an event. You can also sign up to host a Mo-ment — an event that raises funds for men’s health. It can be anything from a dinner party to a jam session. Those organizing the event can use Movember’s Host Toolkit to help them make it a success.
NordVPN has joined Movember
NordVPN is proud to join Movember as a partner and commit to helping the foundation take on some of the biggest health issues affecting men’s health today. NordVPN will help Movember in several ways, from facilitating and matching donations to encouraging conversations about the issues Movember tackles.
NordVPN has set a fundraising target of £250,000 and will make it possible for people to contribute in many ways. Here are more details on how NordVPN will help Movember throughout this partnership.
Facilitate and encourage donations
NordVPN will make it possible for people to donate in two ways:
- When making a purchase on the NordVPN website. People in the UK can add a donation before paying for their subscription. They can choose the value of their one-off donation (£1, £5, or £10), which will be added to the total subscription cost. Please note that only residents in the United Kingdom can donate this way.
- Via a dedicated donation page. NordVPN has also created a standalone page where people can make a one-off donation without purchasing a subscription. The page is already live, meaning you can go and make your donation right away. People in the UK and the EU can donate this way.
NordVPN will match your donation
Why donate to Movember through NordVPN? Because NordVPN will match every donation you make. That’s right — NordVPN will double every donation collected via the NordVPN checkout to make your contribution go further. So if you donate £5, NordVPN will match your donation, making it a total of £10 — and that’s a big difference.
By matching your donation, NordVPN will help maximize the impact of your giving so that we can change the face of men’s health together.
Raise awareness of men’s health challenges
In addition to raising money for the cause, NordVPN will raise awareness of some of the challenges related to men’s health via various channels.
NordVPN’s influencer and creator teams will be delivering several digital campaigns and doing their best work to educate people about the causes of premature male death and how it can be prevented.
NordVPN teams will play their part
NordVPN employees will join the fundraising efforts by running the London Half Marathon in April 2024. Eight employees (and counting) will be completing the 13.1-mile distance across central London in an effort to raise additional funds for the charity.
The rest of the Nord Security teams will be able to support the runners with donations through dedicated donation pages.
Join the Movember movement
If you feel like the causes speak to you and wish to support Movember, you can help in several ways:
- Make a donation via the NordVPN pricing page or the standalone Movember donations page if you’re in the UK. If you’re donating from outside the UK, visit our EU donation page.
- Support the NordVPN team running the half marathon by visiting the donation page (donations from the UK only).
- Share this article with others to spread the word about the partnership and raise awareness of the important issues Movember tackles.