What is a VPN and how does it work?
So what is a VPN exactly? A VPN, or virtual private network, is an encryption service that offers both security and privacy. When you enable a VPN app on your device, your internet traffic is encrypted and routed through an additional server. That means not even your internet service provider (ISP) can view and log your online activity.
VPNs can protect you from hackers and cybercriminals, as well as providing the kind of privacy that is easily lost when browsing the internet. Your ISP won’t be able to sell your data to third-party advertisers; you’ll be shielded from prying eyes.
Of course, another huge benefit offered by these services involves your IP address. You can route your traffic through a server in another country, temporarily adopting the server’s IP address and hiding your real location. That can be particularly beneficial for expats.
Why do expats need a VPN?
Among many other uses, VPNs can let expats browse the internet of their home country, as if they had never left. After all, your IP address influences search engine results, default languages, and more.
For example, you could be a UK citizen living in France. Perhaps you’re there for work or to study, but you still want to stay connected to the UK’s online community and culture. You could choose a VPN server in the UK and enjoy the same internet experience as someone living in the UK.
With the click of a button you’ve got your local news, tailored search results, and UK versions of websites at your fingertips. Likewise, for expats from around the world VPNs offer access to British websites and UK-only apps while living elsewhere in Europe or beyond. Here’s how to get a UK IP address.
Not all VPNs are created equal, so it’s important that you pick the right one. And if you want security without having to compromise on speed and accessibility, NordVPN is your best choice.
7 reasons expats should pick NordVPN
NordVPN boasts a variety of unique features, DNS leak protection and a 30-day money-back guarantee. Whether you’re trying to combat local internet restrictions or protect yourself from cybercriminals, NordVPN is the perfect service for the modern expat.
- Lightning fast browsing speeds. When you’re sending your data overseas, you want the fastest internet speed possible. Some VPN providers can slow down your traffic dramatically, making it impossible to stream or download content. NordVPN is the fastest VPN app on the market, thanks to our massive server network and groundbreaking NordLynx protocol. While there are many NordVPN alternatives on the market, NordVPN’s combination of speed and security remains unrivaled.
- A global server network. NordVPN’s server locations stretch far and wide. With more than 5000 servers in 59 countries worldwide, you can move your IP address thousands of miles in an instant. Our powerful infrastructure offers two major advantages: you can route traffic through countries across the globe, and servers aren’t overcrowded, allowing high speeds to be maintained.
- Avoid local restrictions. NordVPN allows you to circumvent local restrictions. Many expats live in countries where governments limit or even block certain websites like BBC iPlayer, social media and news sources. NordVPN’s combination of speed and security will help you stay connected to the websites you enjoyed back home.
- Access files remotely. Just because you’re living abroad doesn’t mean you can’t still use devices in your home country. For example, if you have childhood photos stored on a family computer in another country, you can connect your own device to that computer using NordVPN’s Meshnet feature, allowing you access it remotely and view any files stored there. Unsurprisingly most expats won’t realize the consequences, especially since the rules in these countries are becoming more and more strict. It’s best to get a VPN for expats, one that can also be used as a desktop app, or on your iPhone, Android, iPad or tablet. This will help you stay safe by encrypting your information and hiding your location.
- Get social. Expand your expat network with NordVPN. If your new home is in a country like the UAE or Vietnam, some of your internet is going to be limited. Rather than sending your family and friends an odd email here and there, get an expat VPN service like NordVPN, that offers lightning speeds and unbeatable security. If you connect to a VPN server in your home country, you’ll have access to the same websites available in your home country, because you’ve changed your virtual location. VPN’s also offer unfettered access to Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites to help you stay in touch with your loved ones.
- Protection against hackers. Wherever you live in the world, hackers are a threat. Cybercrime is rising, and for anyone who uses the internet and public Wi-Fi networks, there are risks. NordVPN’s powerful encryption protocols ensure that hackers are unable to spy on your browsing traffic. And its special Threat Protection feature prevents you from accidentally downloading malware or visiting a malicious website. As well as offering convenience, a good expat VPN should always keep you safe.
- The Kill Switch. If you’re living abroad, you might want to connect to the Wi-Fi in your local café, or on a bus or train. Public Wi-Fi is convenient, but it’s not always safe; if your VPN switches off for even a few seconds you could be exposed to Wi-Fi spying. That’s why NordVPN’s Kill Switch will instantly cut your internet connection if your VPN coverage is lost, ensuring that your data is never unprotected.
If you want to read more about the features of NordVPN you can check out our customers reviews. We’re dedicated to building an internet without borders, and our users know that their safety and experience is our primary concern.
We believe you should be able to browse freely, wherever you live; that’s why NordVPN gives expats the chance to change their browsing location at any time. All for the same price as a cup of coffee.
Take your internet experience to the next level with NordVPN. Use NordVPN on smartphones, tablets, PC’s, laptops and Android TV, and enjoy a 30-day money-back guarantee, risk-free.