(also player versus player)
PvP is a type of gameplay where players compete against each other in a game or activity.
PvP game types and examples
- Multiplayer online battle arena games (League of Legends or Dota 2)
- First-person shooter games (Call of Duty or Overwatch)
- Fighting games (Mortal Kombat or Super Smash Bros)
- Sports games (FIFA or NBA 2K)
- Strategy games (StarCraft or Age of Empires)
- Card games (Magic: The Gathering or Hearthstone)
Downsides of PvP games
- Toxicity. PvP games can attract people who are rude and harass other players.
- Cheating. People who want to win at any cost may resort to cheating, for example, DDoSing their opponents.
- Imbalance. In some games, people who’ve played a lot have better weapons or armor, making the game less enjoyable when they’re paired with other, less experienced players.