(also player versus environment)
PvE is a type of gameplay where the player competes against computer-controlled opponents or predesigned challenges rather than against other players.
PvE game types and examples
- Role-playing games (RPGs) (World of Warcraft or Skyrim)
- Action-adventure games (The Legend of Zelda or Uncharted)
- Survival games (Ark: Survival Evolved or Rust)
- Horror games (Outlast or Resident Evil)
- Strategy games (Civilization or Total War)
- Open-world games (Grand Theft Auto or Assassin’s Creed)
Downsides of PvE games
- Repetitiveness. Every fight will be the same because you’re fighting against the same computer program.
- Limited interactions. PvE games don’t offer much in terms of socialization and interaction with other players.
- Lack of competition. For some players, not being able to compete with others can make PvE games less exciting and fun.