Passwordless, also called password-free authentication, is a secure and convenient method of authentication that eliminates the need for traditional passwords. Instead, it uses alternative identification forms such as biometric verification like fingerprints or facial recognition, authentication apps, hardware tokens, and SMS codes.
Pros and cons of passwordless authentication
- Improved security: By replacing passwords, passwordless authentication helps prevent breaches that occur due to weak or stolen passwords.
- User convenience: Without the need to remember complex passwords, the overall user experience is enhanced.
- Reliance on devices: If a user loses the device used for passwordless authentication, access could become challenging.
- Potential privacy issues: Biometric data, if not securely stored and handled, could be targeted by hackers.
Using passwordless authentication
- Always have a backup authentication method in case your primary device gets lost or stolen.
- Ensure that your biometric data and other sensitive information are securely stored and processed.