(Also Internet of Things middleware)
IoT middleware definition
IoT middleware is the software that makes communication between different components possible.
IoT middleware examples
- Database middleware
- Application server middleware
- Message-oriented middleware
- Web middleware
IoT middleware security issues
- The limited computing power of IoT devices make security difficult to implement
- IoT devices come with the same default logins
- The search engine for IoT devices makes it easy for hackers to find and log in to them.
IoT middleware attacks
In 2020, a security company found that hackers could break into a smartwatch targeted at elderly users and send notifications at will.
In 2021, a cybersecurity company found that Ring doorbells could be hacked if attackers accessed the network the device uses.
Stopping IoT middleware attacks
- Change your IoT device password
- Keep your devices updated.
- Create an offline Wi-Fi LAN.