Carberp is a type of malware that targets computers and is specifically designed to steal sensitive information, especially financial data. It infects computers and secretly monitors users’ online activities, such as online banking transactions and login credentials.
Carberp can capture this information and send it to cybercriminals, who can use it for fraud, such as making unauthorized banking transactions or stealing the user’s identity.
See also: anti-malware
How Carberp works
- Carberp typically spreads when a user downloads infected files, opens phishing email attachments, or visits malicious websites. For example, a user may click on a link to an infected website where Carberp is automatically installed on their device without their knowledge.
- Once installed, Carberp monitors the user’s online activities (like logging into banking websites).
- Using keylogging (a functionality that records keystrokes), Carberp captures the victim’s login credentials, credit card details, and other sensitive information.
- Carberp can also manipulate the victim’s online banking sessions. The malware injects its code into the victim’s web browser, allowing them to modify web page content, insert additional fields to capture data or create fake login pages that closely resemble legitimate banking sites.
- Using Carberp, cybercriminals can gain remote control over the infected system. They can issue commands, download and execute malware or update Carberp to adapt to the system’s security measures.
- Everything Carberp records is sent to the cybercriminals that control the malicious software. The criminals can use this stolen data for fraudulent activities or sell it on the black market.
How to prevent Carberp
- Regularly update programs and applications to ensure you get important bug fixes.
- Use reliable antivirus software and regularly check for malware.
- Avoid websites that could be dangerous or compromised.
- Don’t open suspicious emails or attachments.
- Don’t click on links unless you’re sure they are safe.
- Only download software and files from trusted sources.