This is a tutorial on how to connect to NordVPN servers on Windows 10 using the IKEv2 protocol.
Note: due to Windows system configuration features, it downgrades the cypher to a weaker 3DES-CBC encryption cypher.
1. Download our NordVPN certificate – https://downloads.nordvpn.com/certificates/root.der
Note: Your browser may try to save the file into its own certificate location, or open it immediately. Make sure to download the file, instead of opening it. On Firefox, right-click the link above and select “Save Link As…”. In Internet Explorer, select “Save” instead of “Open”. Chrome will download the file correctly.
3. Click “Install Certificate…”
5. Select “Place all certificates in the following store”, and click “Browse..”
6. Select “Trusted Root Certification Authorities”, and click OK, and click “Next”.
7. Click “Finish”.
8. Click “OK” on both windows.
9. Open the Windows Start Menu, and start typing “control panel“. Click on the Control Panel in the results.
10. Open Network and Internet.
11. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
12. Click Set up a new connection or network.
13. Click Connect to a workplace and push Next.
14. If you are asked “Do you want to use a connection that you already have?”, select “No, create a new connection” and then push Next.
15. Click Use my Internet connection (VPN).
16. Internet address = Write down the host name of a server suggested to you at https://nordvpn.com/servers/#recommended . You can find the server host name right under the server title.
Destination name = Any name that you would like your connection to have, for example United States #936 Connection.
17. Open Network and sharing center again and click Change adapter settings.
18. Right click the adapter with the name you created, for example United States #936 connection, click properties and show the Security tab.
19. Enter the following:
Type of VPN: IKEv2
Data encryption: Require encryption (disconnect if server declines)
Authentication: Use Extensible Authentication Protocol(EAP) and EAP-MSCHAPv2
And click OK.
20. Click OK.
21. Move the cursor to the right corner of your screen and click the Network icon and click on connection name that you created, then Connect.
22. In the Sign in dialog, enter your NordVPN credentials.