Why might you want to uninstall a VPN?
You might encounter all sorts of problems when connected to a VPN, especially if you’re using a free VPN, because these VPN providers rarely have an extensive technical support team. If you're not using a premium service, VPN connections aren't always reliable.
- The internet is too slow. There are many ways to boost your internet speed and enjoy the VPN benefits. It can even prevent your ISP from bandwidth throttling and increase your speed. If speed is your concern, having a VPN profile might actually be the best idea.
- It doesn’t work on my device. You can run into this problem with free VPNs very often, that’s why they’re free. If you take a premium VPN like NordVPN, it works across multiple devices without interruption.
- I don’t know how to use it. You don’t need to be tech savvy to use a VPN, and it takes only a couple of seconds to connect to a server.
If you’re using NordVPN and we haven’t guessed why you're having VPN trouble, contact our 24/7 customer success team. We’ve got tech experts ready to help you get what you need and stay safe at any time!
How to delete a VPN on Windows 10 & 7
Removing a VPN app on Windows 10, 7, or other versions is no different than uninstalling any other program. However, if you want to completely wipe out any traces of VPN files, it requires additional steps.
Let’s start with your VPN app:
- Go to Settings -> Apps.
- Select Apps & features in the left menu.
- Select your VPN app and click on it.
- Click Uninstall and confirm by clicking a pop-up.
After uninstalling your app, you can also remove a VPN connection:
- Go to Settings -> Network & Internet.
- Click the Change adapter options.
- Right-click your VPN connection.
- Select Delete.
We also recommend deleting old TAP drivers. These are used by VPN services to connect to servers and they may remain on your computer even after uninstalling a VPN app.
- Go to the Control panel -> Device Manager.
- Expand the Network adapters section.
- Right-click on the old driver.
- Select Uninstall, and then confirm it.
After you get rid of an untrustworthy VPN app, you can take your online security to the next level and get NordVPN for Windows.
How to delete a VPN on Android
Removing a VPN on Android is as simple as deleting any other app. Just follow these steps to delete your VPN software:
- Go to Settings -> Network & internet.
- Tap on VPN.
- Select the VPN setting icon.
- Tap on Forget VPN.
- Confirm your action by clicking Forget.
After you get rid of a shady VPN app, it’s time for you to try the real thing and get NordVPN for Android.
How to delete a VPN on Mac
Removing an app on macOS is straightforward and doesn’t take more than a couple of seconds. Here’s how to do it:
- Disconnect from your VPN completely and exit the app.
- Go to the Applications folder.
- Right-click on your VPN app and select Move to Bin.
- Confirm your action.
You can also delete your app by simply dragging it to the Bin.
After uninstalling an untrustworthy VPN app, we recommend you get NordVPN for Mac. It’s a top-notch VPN that may be unlike any other VPN you’ve tried.
How to delete a VPN on iOS
Removing a VPN from your iPhone or other iOS device is no different from deleting any other software on your smartphone. Here’s how to do it:
- Touch and hold the app.
- Tap Remove App.
- Tap Delete App, then tap Delete to confirm.
After you get rid of a shady VPN, it’s time to move on to a widely respected VPN provider and get NordVPN for iOS. It will boost your security and prove that a trustworthy VPN is not a hoax.
Should you delete VPN extensions?
If you're determined to purge VPN software and all related programs, you can also delete VPN extensions from your browser. VPNs often offer extensions for popular browsers like Chrome and Firefox.
This allows you to route all the traffic from that specific browser application through a VPN. Why is that useful? Because it means that you can use the VPN for certain activities and not others. Some people only want to encrypt their data while using specific websites — especially if they don't trust those sites to protect their privacy — so you can install an extension on a specific browser which you only use to access those sites.
Should you try a free VPN? No, and here's why!
If your concerns around VPNs stem from pricing and affordability, you might be tempted to try a free VPN. After all, what's the worst that could happen?
Some pretty bad things, actually! For one thing, free VPNs can put you and your data at risk. Free VPNs often sell user data to third party advertisers, defeating the purpose of their service. And because they rarely have the money to maintain proper security protocols and server networks, you'll get a much lower standard of protection while using them.
With a premium VPN, you'll get what you pay for: a genuinely good service. Because of their business model, paid VPNs can afford to protect your data properly, and won't sell you out to online data harvesters. You'll get better service, speed, and stability.
Why you shouldn't remove NordVPN from your devices
Unless you want to get exposed to various cyberthreats, removing NordVPN is a bad idea. It's usually better to manage virtual private networks and tweak specific settings than to delete the app altogether. If you're not happy with your current experience, check out your VPN settings and make sure you're using the best options for your needs.
Take a deep breath, then another one, and read the reasons why you shouldn’t remove your good old pal NordVPN from your device.
- Securing your online activities. Removing a VPN exposes you to various online threats. It’s the same as forgetting to turn on a security alarm in your apartment.
- Bypassing censorship. There are a handful of governments that control what their citizens can watch, read, and think. If you happen to live or travel in one of those countries, a VPN is your way to regain online freedom.
- Protecting digital identity. After removing a VPN, you will expose your digital identity. ISPs or Wi-Fi snoopers will track what you do online, marketers will collect your data, and wrongdoers will wait until you make a mistake while paying taxes.
- Saving money when shopping online. A VPN is great if you like to save money online. Retailers often adjust their prices based on location, so you can hop between different NordVPN servers and search for the best deal.
If you still think it’s a good idea to delete your VPN profile, you can cancel your NordVPN subscription at any time from your Nord Account dashboard. Then, simply follow the steps outlined above to delete the app.
If you decide to return, we will always be waiting for you. And if you're not satisfied with your current VPN, you can always try the 30-day free NordVPN trial.
Secure your data and protect your privacy
Stay safe with the world’s leading VPN