Why delete your Uber account?
While Uber is a handy tool to get from A to B quickly, there are multiple reasons why you might want to delete it:
- Uber collects your data to share it with third parties for advertising purposes and internal use. Uber might also use it to target you with ads. If you use the service often, you give out a lot of private info about yourself, especially concerning your location;
- Uber is known for misusing their customers’ data. In one scandal, Uber employees tracked users just for fun;
- Uber suffered from several major data breaches. A 2016 breach disclosed the personal data of 600,000 drivers and 57 million customers. Given that the app stores your geographical data, cybercriminals might see where you live and work.
How to delete my Uber account
Deleting the Uber app is pretty easy. Here’s how:
1. Open the Uber app;
2. Press the three stripes on the top left;
3. Tap Settings;
4. Go to Privacy Settings;
5. Press Delete your account in the bottom;
6. Enter your password and tap Verify;
7. You will see a screen informing you that Uber will deactivate your account for 30 days and then delete it. Tap Continue;
8. You can then pick a reason for deletion if you wish;
9. Click Delete on the final screen.
1. Click on Help Center at the very bottom of their homepage;
2. Click More under Account and payment options;
3. Choose Delete my Uber account;
4. Click Delete my Uber account;
5. Log in and follow further instructions.
What to consider before deleting your Uber account
- You will lose all your bonuses and earned points after deleting the account;
- Your Uber Eats account will be removed as well;
- If you were unable to delete your account, you can contact their customer service by pressing this link, clicking I was unable to delete my account, and following their instructions.
Want to read more like this?
Get the latest news and tips from NordVPN