(also serializer deserializer)
SerDes is not a cybersecurity-specific tool but is instead used in communication and networking systems. In most cases, those are core elements of cybersecurity infrastructure. SerDes, also known as Serializer/Deserializer functional hardware block that converts data between parallel and serial formats. SerDes is responsible for data transmission (bit by bit) over long distances rather than transmitting data in multiple bits simultaneously. This approach is more efficient in up-to-date high-speed communications.
Regarding cybersecurity, the SerDes method is more relevant in data transmission and overall communication security. Furthermore, interconnects and higher-speed networks benefit from the SerDes approach because it enables large volumes of data to travel with low latency. SerDes is mainly used in data centers and cloud computing environments.
Common SerDes applications
- Networking: SerDes helps high-speed information transferring in various data centers, routers, and network switches by enabling steady and efficient data flow.
- Storage systems: Storage devices like SSDs and HDDs use SerDes for fast data transfer between storage devices and controllers.
- Cloud computing: SerDes supports high bandwidth information exchange between cloud-based servers and data centers.
- Defense systems and aerospace: SerDes enables fast data links for aircraft and military objects.
- IoT devices: SerDes facilitates and enables communication between IoT gateways, sensors, and actuators.
- Automotive and vehicle systems: It is widely used for advanced drive-assisting systems throughout the automotive industry.
- Audio and video interfaces: SerDes facilitates high-resolution and quality video and audio streaming in various multimedia displays and devices.