If you wish to set up a VPN connection through OpenVPN protocol we strongly recommend you to use our macOS app for Apple computers with version 10.10 or newer. You can find the instructions on how to install the app here.
Note: you can also connect to the obfuscated servers using TunnelBlick by downloading the configuration files for our obfuscated servers here.
The Tunnelblick application is one of the alternative options for connecting to NordVPN servers on your Mac. If you prefer a manual connection and tinkering with open-source software, this is a good option to connect to NordVPN. That said, it lacks the additional features of the NordVPN native app but still uses the same VPN protocol – the OpenVPN protocol. It's also a bit more complicated to set up – please see additional guides below for set-up assistance.
- Download the Tunnelblick. Tunnelblick provides free, user-friendly control of OpenVPN client connections for macOS.
- Download the recommended OpenVPN server's configuration file from this page:
- To begin the installation of OpenVPN for macOS, navigate to your Downloads folder and double-click the Tunnelblick image (DMG) file you just downloaded.
- Double-click on the Tunnelblick icon in the Tunnelblick disk image Finder window.
- A new dialogue box appears: Tunnelblick is an app downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it? Click Open.
- You will be asked to enter your Mac password. Enter it and click OK:
- After installation completes, you will see a pop-up notification: Installation succeeded. Tunnelblick was successfully installed. Do you wish to launch Tunnelblick now? (An administrator username and password will be required so Tunnelblick can be secured.). Click Launch.
Alternatively, you can click on the Tunnelblick icon on the status bar and click VPN details:
- A new dialogue box will appear: There are no configurations installed. Click I have configuration files.
- One more pop-up will appear instructing how to import configuration files:
- Drag and drop the previously downloaded .ovpn file from your Downloads folder to Configurations tab on the Tunnelblick.
- A new pop-up will appear asking if you want to install the configuration profile for your current user only, or for all users on your Mac. Select your preferred option.
You will be asked to enter your Mac password again.
- A new pop-up warning will appear about comp-lzo deprecation. You can safely check the Do not warn about this again and click OK.
- Select the server and click Connect.
- Enter your NordVPN credentials, mark the box Save in Keychain and click Ok.
- You are connected to VPN. To disconnect, click on the Tunnelblick icon in your menu bar and select Disconnect from the drop-down menu.