This is a tutorial on how to connect to NordVPN servers on Windows 8 using the IKEv2 protocol.
Note: due to Windows system configuration features, it downgrades the cipher to a weaker 3DES-CBC encryption cipher.
Disclaimer: To use this connection method, you have to add the certificate to Trusted Root Authorities. It applies to all certificates. This way, your system can potentially fall for a MITM attack if someone gets that certificate’s private key. Our private keys are completely secure and although there is a very small chance for that, we recommend avoiding this connection method unless you cannot connect using our native app or any other alternative way.
1. Download our NordVPN certificate – https://downloads.nordvpn.com/certificates/root.der
Note: Your browser may try to save the file into its own certificate location, or open it immediately. Make sure to download the file, instead of opening it. On Firefox, right-click the link above and select “Save Link As…”. In Internet Explorer, select “Save” instead of “Open”. Chrome will download the file correctly.
3. Click “Install Certificate…”
5. Select “Place all certificates in the following store”, and click “Browse..”
6. Select “Trusted Root Certification Authorities”, and click OK, and click “Next”.
7. Click “Finish”.
8. Click “OK” on both windows.
9. Go into the Control Panel.
10. Open Network and Internet.
11. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
12. Click Set up a new connection or network.
13. Click Connect to a workplace and push Next.
14. If you are asked “Do you want to use a connection that you already have?”, select “No, create a new connection” and then push Next.
15. Click Use my Internet connection (VPN).
16. Enter de154.nordvpn.com (Or any of our servers you wish to use – you can find all of our servers here: https://nordvpn.com/servers/) into Internet Address and Germany#154 server(Or any other name you wish) into Destination name and push Create.
17. Open Network and sharing center again and click Change adapter settings.
18. Open the properties dialog of Germany#154 adapter and show Security tab.
19. Enter the following:
Type of VPN: IKEv2
Data encryption: Require encryption (disconnect if server declines)
Authentication: Use Extensible Authentication Protocol(EAP) and EAP-MSCHAPv2
And click OK.
20. Click OK.
21. Move the cursor to the right corner of your screen and click the Network icon.
22. Select Germany#154 sever and click Connect.
23. In the Sign in dialog, enter your NordVPN credentials.