This is the tutorial on how to set up your Synology NAS based on DiskStation Manager (DSM) 6.1 version. Instructions for an older, 5.1 version can be found in our Help Center here: https://support.nordvpn.com/hc/en-us/articles/206930589
First things first, these changes are made in the web configuration panel of your NAS/router. You can access it by visiting the local IP of your NAS/router from your web browser. The two most common, default local IPs that most routers have are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 – you can access these by opening http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 in your browser. The default IP, username and password are listed in your NAS/router’s User Manual.
1. Login to your Synology and then go to Control Panel.
2. Navigate to Network.
3. Press on Network Interface -> Create -> Create VPN Profile.
4. Select OpenVPN (via importing a .ovpn file) and press Next.
5. Fill in the fields as in the following picture and press Next. You can download the OpenVPN configuration files here: https://nordvpn.com/api/files/zip
6. Select all options and press Next.
7. Select the newly created profile and press Connect.
Once you establish the connection, the status of this profile will change to Connected.
If you will run into troubles while trying to establish the connection – please open our ovpn file on your computer and add this line:
Afterwards import the new ovpn file again into your Synology and try connecting once more. Send us the log file which will be printed in this directory: