Don’t want to manage the VPN setup manually? Download the NordVPN app for Linux, where all you need to do is install the app, log in, and pick the server you want.
How to connect to OpenVPN via shell:
1. Open terminal (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + T).
2. Install OpenVPN client by entering:
sudo apt-get install openvpn
(if you are requested a password, enter the password which you have used when creating your account).
3. Navigate to OpenVPN configuration directory with command:
4. Download OpenVPN configuration files with command
sudo wget https://downloads.nordcdn.com/configs/archives/servers/ovpn.zip
4.1. In case you will get `ERROR: The certificate of `nordvpn.com’ is not trusted.`, please install `ca-certificates` package with command:
sudo apt-get install ca-certificates
5. If you do not have `unzip` package installed, download it by typing in:
sudo apt-get install unzip
6. Extract `ovpn.zip` with command:
sudo unzip ovpn.zip
7. Remove files which will be no longer used:
sudo rm ovpn.zip
8. Depending on the connection protocol you want to be using(TCP or UDP), you can do either one of these commands:
9.Now, to see the list of all available servers, simply enter the
command and it will print full configuration file list.
10. Choose a server which you would like to connect to.
11. Start OpenVPN with a chosen configuration by entering:
sudo openvpn [file name]
sudo openvpn us842.nordvpn.com.udp.ovpn sudo openvpn /etc/openvpn/ovpn_udp/us842.nordvpn.com.udp.ovpn
12. OpenVPN will ask you for credentials, so simply enter those in with your NordVPN account credentials.
13. You have successfully connected to VPN. To disconnect from the OpenVPN connection simply open terminal and press Ctrl + C on your keyboard.
How to connect to OpenVPN via Network Manager:
sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome
Press Enter (Enter password if it needed). If that doesn’t work, try running these commands first:
sudo add-apt-repository universe sudo apt-get update
sudo service network-manager restart
You might need to restart your computer if the service does not restart this way.