How to connect to OpenVPN via shell:
1. Open terminal (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + T).
2. Install OpenVPN client by entering:
sudo apt-get install openvpn
(if you are requested a password, enter the password which you have used when creating your account).
3. Navigate to OpenVPN configuration directory with command:
4. Download OpenVPN configuration files with command
sudo wget https://nordvpn.com/api/files/zip
4.1. In case you will get `ERROR: The certificate of `nordvpn.com’ is not trusted.`, please install `ca-certificates` package with command:
apt-get install ca-certificates
5. If you do not have `unzip` package installed, download it by typing in:
sudo apt-get install unzip
6. Extract `config.zip` with command:
sudo unzip zip
7. Remove files which will be no longer used:
sudo rm zip
8. To see the list of all available servers, simply enter the
command and it will print full configuration file list.
9. Choose a server which you would like to connect to.
10. Start OpenVPN with a chosen configuration by entering:
sudo openvpn [file name]
sudo openvpn at1.nordvpn.com.udp1194.ovpn
11. OpenVPN will ask you for credentials, so simply enter those in with your NordVPN account credentials.
12. You have successfully connected to VPN. To disconnect from the OpenVPN connection simply open terminal and press Ctrl + C on your keyboard.
How to connect to OpenVPN via Network Manager:
1. Open Terminal, Applications->Accessories->Terminal
2. Install network-manager-openvpn by typing in Terminal:
sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome
Press Enter (Enter password if it needed).
If that doesn’t work, try running these commands first:
sudo add-apt-repository universe sudo apt-get update
3. You will be prompted: Do you want to continue? Y/n Type Y and hit Enter.
4. Once installation is complete, restart Network Manager by typing:
sudo service network-manager restart
6. Click on the double arrow button at the top right of the screen and then select Edit Connections… from the drop-down.
7. You will be prompted to choose a connection type. Select Import a saved VPN configuration… and click on Create…
8. You will be prompted a window to select a file that you would like to import. Please navigate to a folder where you have extracted the configuration files and select one of the files from the list and click Open. You can check what file corresponds which server at our server list.
9. In the popped window select VPN tab.
Gateway: an IP or the hostname of the server (usually the server IP is already set in).
User name: Your NordVPN username;
Password: Your NordVPN password;
CA Certificate: select a corresponding .crt file to the server which you are setting up, from the certificate file which you have downloaded previously.
Click on Advanced…
10. Open TLS Authentication tab.
Subject match: leave blank;
Verify peer (server) certificate usage signature: check and select Server;
Use additional TLS authentication: check;
Key file: select a corresponding .key file to the server which you are setting up, from the certificate file which you have downloaded previously;
Key direction: 1.
Click Ok and Save the configuration.
11. Now click on the double arrow button at the top right of the screen again and then select VPN connections from the drop-down.
Select the server which you have set up and click on it.
Congrats! You are connected to VPN. In NordVPN’s site you can check if the connection works well for you. Refresh the website and check if the status is shown as Secured. Until next time friends!