This tutorial explains how to connect your Tomato firmware router to NordVPN using the PPTP protocol.
First things first, these changes are made in the web configuration panel of your router. You can access it by visiting the local IP of your router from your web browser. The two most common, default local IPs that most routers have are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 – you can access these by opening http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 in your browser. The default IP, username and password are listed in your router’s User Manual.
Please note that PPTP is a very old VPN protocol, and is considered unsafe. Please use it at your own risk.
1. Go to Setup -> Basic Setup;
2. Set PPTP as your Connection Type;
3. Into the Gateway (PPTP Server) field enter a NordVPN server address. You can find our server addresses in our server list: https://nordvpn.com/servers/;
4. Enter your NordVPN credentials;
5. Enable the Use DHCP option;
6. Under Optional Settings change MTU to Manual and put in the value of 1460;
7. Scroll down to Network Address Server Settings (DHCP);
8. Select DHCP Type to DHCP Server and also select Enable;
9. Into Static DNS 1 and 2 fields enter our DNS servers: 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168;
10. Disable Use DNSMasq for DHCP and DNS;
11. Click Save and Apply Settings at the bottom of the screen to connect to VPN.