This tutorial explains how to connect your D-Link router to NordVPN using the PPTP protocol.
First things first, these changes are made in the web configuration panel of your router. You can access it by visiting the local IP of your router from your web browser. The two most common, default local IPs that most routers have are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 – you can access these by opening http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 in your browser. The default IP, username and password are listed in your router’s User Manual.
Please note that PPTP is a very old VPN protocol, and is considered unsafe. Please use it at your own risk.
Here is how to connect a D-Link router to NordVPN:
1. Go to Internet -> Setup;
2. Select PPTP (Username / Password) as your internet connection type;
3. Select Dynamic IP as your Address Mode;
4. Into the PPTP Server IP Address field enter the IP address of the server you want to connect to. Our server list can be found at https://nordvpn.com/servers/. You can use http://whatismyipaddress.com/hostname-ip tool to convert server name to IP address;
5. Enter your NordVPN username and password;
6. Set Reconnect Mode to Always on;
7. Enter our DNS servers: 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52
8. Click Save settings above PPTP settings to connect to VPN. On some D-Link models, the router may reboot, and you might need to navigate to the “Status” page and click the “Connect” button there.
Congratulations, your traffic should be going through NordVPN now! You can visit www.whatismyipaddress.com to confirm the successful VPN connection.