This is a tutorial on how to connect a BlackBerry 10 device to NordVPN using the IKEv2 protocol.
Please note that this configuration has not been tested by NordVPN staff – it has been shared and tested by our wonderful customers instead. However, if any issues arise, feel free to contact our support team with further help!
Installation of the NordVPN certificate
To connect using the IKEv2 protocol to NordVPN servers, your device has to have the NordVPN root certificate installed. This only needs to be done once.
1. Download and install the NordVPN root certificate on your BlackBerry: https://downloads.nordvpn.com/certificates/root.pem
You can download it to your laptop and then place the certificates file into your SD card.
(Another way is to open the download link in the web browser of your BlackBerry, the certificate will be installed directly. It is much simpler.)
2. On the home screen, swipe down from the top of the screen. Tap on Settings, then go into System Settings, Security and Privacy > Certificates > Import.
Then import the root.pem file.
3. In the BlackBerry System Settings, expand Networks and Connections > VPN. Click Create VPN profile.
4. Use the following settings in the VPN profile configuration:
Profile Name: anything, this field does not matter
Server Address: A server name from our server list, at https://nordvpn.com/servers/ (for example, us333.nordvpn.com)
Gateway Type: Generic IKEv2 VPN Server
Authentication Type: EAP-MSCHAPv2
Authentication ID Type: Email Address
Authentication ID: NordVPN Username
MSCHAPv2 EAP Identity: NordVPN Username
MSCHAPv2 Username: NordVPN Username
MSCHAPv2 Password: NordVPN Password
Gateway Auth Type: PKI
Gateway Auth ID Type: Fully Qualified Domain Name
Gateway Auth ID: The same as Server Address
Gateway CA Certificate *: All CA Certificates
Perfect Forward Secrecy: Yes (checked)
There is no need to change any ‘Advanced’ configurations.
5. Save the profile, and then tap it to connect with it.
If everything goes smoothly, you should be connected to the VPN. You can always check if you are by visiting your profile on our website https://nordvpn.com, and it should say you are protected.