This is a tutorial on how to install and use the NordVPN app for Android when you can not download it from the Google Play store. The tutorial has been made on a device running Android 6.0.1.
First of all, you need to download the APK file of our application from our website
- Go to Settings -> Security -> Unknown sources and turn it on. You will get a warning that you should only press okay if you really trust the source of the application. You can safely tap OK.
- Go and open any browser.
- Go to our page, www.nordvpn.com. Then open the side menu by tapping the menu button in the top right corner.
- In the side menu, select Tools & Information.
- Then select Download.
- In the downloads section, scroll down to the Download VPN for All Your Devices section and select Android.
- In the following page, click on Or download the NordVPN .apk file.
You will get a prompt popping up asking if you want to download the file, select Download.
- Afterwards, open the NordVPN.apk file by tapping on the download complete message in the status menu.
- After opening the .apk file you downloaded, the installation proccess will ask for your permission to start. You can safely select Install.
- After the application is installed, you can tap Open and launch the application.
It will now appear among other applications on your device.
- You will see the main menu of the application. Tap Create Account.
- Then select Create Account if you want to create one, or tap on I already have an account and log in with you NordVPN credentials.
- If you are logging in for the first time, you will get a notification about our new CyberSec feature. Turn on the the feature by clicking on the Turn CyberSec On button. You can read more about the CyberSec feature here:
- You can now connect to a server with the Quick Connect option. Using a complex formula that includes various server parameters, Quick Connect chooses the best server for you at that moment.
- You may be greeted with a few warning messages. They are default Android warning messages for VPN connections, and you can safely press OK on them. They may also require you to mark a checkbox in the window.
- You can also tap any of the country pins and quickly connect to a server from that country by tapping the quick connect button or Pick a server option and selecting a specific server to connect to.
- Alternatively, you can open a list of the available countries and specialty servers by selecting the List tab at the bottom of the app. To connect, simply tap the power button next to the country.
- You can also tap on the group of servers and get a more detailed selection. Our application determines what servers are the best for you by looking into various different server parameters and sorts them accordingly. It is possible to sort servers by alphanumerical order, distance or latency. Also, by clicking on the heart next to a server, you can add it to your favorite servers or click the back arrow and return to the regular list.
- In the top left corner of the application you can tap on the account icon and access your Account information and Settings.
- Here you can find information about your subscription and other settings of the application, like CyberSec or Auto Connect. The X at the top right corner will return you to the regular menu of the application.
- The heart icon, that is at the top-right corner of the application, will take you to your favorite servers menu where they can be accessed quickly.
- And that is it! On most Android versions, you will see a small key-like icon on the top of your notification bar when you are connected to the VPN. Afterward we suggest exploring our application by following the guides on the key features.