Don’t want to manage the VPN setup manually? Download the NordVPN app for iOS, where all you need to do is install the app, log in, and pick the server you want.
This tutorial would provide step-by-step guidelines on how to correctly configure a manual connection on iOS device (iPhone/iPad) using the IKEv2 protocol.
- Download the NordVPN IKEv2 certificate to your device. It can be done by opening this link on Safari browser: https://downloads.nordvpn.com/certificates/root.der
- The certificate installation dialogue will appear. Tap Install button in each of the steps:
- Once the certificate is installed, tap Done to complete the installation.
3.1. For iOS 12.2 version and above, after you download the certificate you might see a pop-up "Profile downloaded – Review the profile in Settings app if you want to install it".
3.2. Navigate to your iOS Settings -> Profile Downloaded -> NordVPN Root CA -> Install -> Trust.
- Now it is necessary to determine which server to connect to. Go to https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/ – this tool will pick a recommended server. In our case, it displayed US #810 server, which hostname is us810.nordvpn.com. We will use this server as a reference on the further steps.
- Open the Settings -> General -> VPN tab.
- Tap on the Add VPN Configuration… button.
- Fill out the following boxes accordingly:
Description: Any preferred name for the VPN connection
Server: The hostname of the server (picked on the step 4)
Remote ID: The same hostname as the Server field
Local ID: Leave empty
User Authentication: Username
Username: Your NordVPN account username
Password: Your NordVPN account password
Afterwards, tap Done.
- Go back to the Settings menu of the device and click on the switch next to VPN to turn on the VPN.